Willow Analytical provide a contract testing service to characterise the physical properties of materials in a range of ways. We have partnered with a number of unique equipment suppliers to provide a contract testing service that gives our customers the opportunity to measure a diversity of physical properties that are difficult if not impossible to measure using standard testing equipment. We offer testing services in the following areas:
- Micro-rheology – Measurement of the rheological properties of liquids, emulsions, Hydrogels and soft matter between 4°C – 110°C. Small samples required (150 – 500 µl typically), frequency range of measurement typically between 1 Hz – 10mHz. Ideal for monitoring cross-linking reactions, stability testing of samples over time (Samples can simply be stored and measured at time intervals to monitor change). Ideal for the measurement of food products (e.g. milk, yogurt, cream, sauces….), Cosmetics, Hydrogels, emulsions & colloidal systems.
- Thermal Conductivity – Measurement of Thermal conductivity and Effusivity of solids, liquids, pastes, powders and in-line testing of structures and components. Measurements can be made over a wide temperature range (-50°C to +250°C) with the use of an Environmental test chamber.
- Viscosity – Measurement of viscosity over a range of temperatures (4°C to 70°C) and shear rates (1-1,600,000 1/s) using small sample sizes (as low as 10µl).
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry – Measurement of the Heat flow properties and Heat Capacity of a wide range of materials over a range of temperature (-90°C to +400°C). Types of properties and transitions measured include Heat Capacity, Melting & recrystallization, Glass transition, cross-linking reactions and thermal/Oxidative degradation.
- Dynamic Mechanical Analysis – Measurement of the Mechanical properties of materials (in a wide range of formats – Films, bars, tubes and cylinders, fibres, powders and brittle films) as a function of temperature (-150°C to +600°C). Ideal for measuring glass transitions, low energy/temperature relaxations, creep & stress relaxation performance, cross-linking reactions, re-crystallisation, & blending compatibility. Mechanical properties can be measured at a range of deformation frequencies (0.01 Hz to 200 Hz) to simulate in use conditions or to explore the frequency dependence of any transitions observed.
We understand that to generate good quality, reliable data on materials requires an initial consultation and this would be best carried out at your workplace so we can understand the types of materials you are working with and the application(s) for which they are used. We would then welcome you to our Laboratory facility in Oxford for some initial trials on the appropriate technique(s) so that we can jointly develop appropriate test methods for you. Once we have an understanding and direction then we can carry out testing efficiently to meet your deadlines.